Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the social media strategy across various platforms, with a primary focus on creating and curating content that tells the story of Safe Horizon and our clients, and that resonates with our audience. This role requires the person to be a digital content creator and have basic to mid-range graphic design and video editing skills, as well as the ability to handle sensitive and emotional content effectively. The Manager Social Media plays a key role in not only executing social media management, but in developing strategy in conjunction with the AVP of external communication. The Manager Social Media will work out of the Marketing and Communications unit and their plans will support the unit’s goals which align with organizational priorities.
There are four key aspects to this position. The most important aspect is creating compelling, sometimes trend-based, and accurate content for social media and related content for other external communication. An extension of the first priority is creating visual content (graphics, photography and video) aligned to these themes. The third key aspect is managing social media advertising as determined by the unit priorities. And lastly, all the work should be informed by a solid grounding in social media best practices, trends and research, as well as relationship building across the organization’s programs.
- Serve as strategic partner to the AVP of external communications, and other key staff, to develop and execute social media themes and content.
- Establish processes and protocols that support Safe Horizon’s social media properties and create systems for developing compelling content.
- Regularly monitor online conversations and news to identify opportunities and pitch ideas to the AVP to elevate Safe Horizon’s voice and key messages on social media channels, including breaking news, celebrity engagement and more.
- Develop and pitch creative, compelling content, including graphics and video, to inspire Safe Horizon followers and drive advocacy and engagement. Help plan and oversee longer-term Safe Horizon campaigns, including development and policy needs
- Increase following and engagement across social media channels.
- Provide real-time monitoring of the agency’s social media platforms to provide prompt responses, and if needed, prompt involvement of the team for counsel. This role is likely to include minor weekend monitoring, with a flexible schedule to support this and maintain a 35-hour work week.
- Provide longer-term analysis and trend spotting
- When needed, draft and edit longer-form writing for the website and email e-blasts that connect to social media content.
- Oversee content creation work as needed
- Support on other tasks as needed.
- Design engaging visual content for social media, including shareable graphics, carousels, and when applicable, infographics
- Produce compelling photos of events, people, and other subjects as needed.
- Produce and edit social media-friendly/native social media video content.
- Adhere to brand guidelines and create a cohesive visual experience on social media account pages
Measuring, Reporting, Research
Advise on the best mechanisms and approaches to tracking social media performance and provide regular reports for strategic guidance.
- Ensure all content (stories, photos, videos, etc.) files are archived in an organized and trackable manner.
- Act as the key point of contact for social media queries, including from people who might need Safe Horizon’s assistance.
- Provide engaging training and ongoing social media support to agency thought leaders so that they can be better ambassadors for the agency.
- Recruit and manage social media interns (when needed).
- Maintain our digital media technology (including phones, computers, cameras, microphones, lenses, etc.) and also train other staff in their use.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, social media or related field, or equivalent relevant experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience using social media professionally, with experience creating and pitching content, or working as a digital content creator.
- Basic graphic design skills and video editing skills.
- Deep understanding of online and social media communities, best practices, and trends, and the ability to make recommendations on platform use, and voice and tone variation according to platforms.
- Demonstrated success with new media campaigns.
- Experience creating the infrastructure and strategy to sustain vibrant and compelling social media channels.
- Proven ability to develop an authentic voice for organizations through creative thinking and writing.
- Ability to conceive, design and launch campaigns that align with strategic goals.
- Deep understanding of established and new social media technologies, analytics and functionality.
- Ability to make meaningful connections with staff across large local organization with national reputation. Ability to work empathetically with sensitive topics.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines and in a very fast paced environment.
- Bilingual (fluent in spoken and written form) in language of a major New York ethnic group, other than English.
- Thorough understanding of related computer and systems for new media tools, preparing reports and overseeing operations.
- Experience creating and running social media advertising.
- Knowledge of issues facing victims of crime or abuse and/or experience working with vulnerable populations.