Social Media Specialist
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
As a Social Media Specialist, you will be responsible for helping drive the strategic development and growth of GitHub’s main corporate social channels. With millions of followers across several platforms, social media is a huge part of how we communicate who we are as a brand, company, and platform to our 100M users, as well as future developers we haven’t yet met.
This role touches almost every single team here at GitHub, and serves to connect all the dots to tell a consistent story to our audiences. The Social Media team owns more mature channels with pronounced audiences and robust calendars and growing channels that are hitting new audiences in new formats. As a developer company, a lot of the content we share with our audience is technical, so this role needs to have a knack for translating more technical content into social posts and campaigns that properly get our point across, as well as finding the opportunities to infuse the GitHub brand.
The Social Media team’s work is highly visible, so candidates should be comfortable working with executives and senior leadership, as well as having the desire to educate the company at-large on social media’s current and potential impact for the business. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, high levels of compassion for colleagues and the developer community, and an eagle-eye attention to detail are absolutely required—as is the ability to multitask, project manage like a pro and, of course, always make sure we’re never over the character limit.
- Day-to-day social management: responding to stakeholder requests, calendaring and scheduling, advising on platform specifications, etc.
- Social analysis: assisting in monthly and quarterly reporting as well as collaborating with Comms/Marketing counterparts on all-up reports for corporate news and announcements
- Social listening: communicate what social communities are talking about and turn into actionable insights for stakeholders
- Content creation: partner with the Social team and content partners in developing proactive social posts timed to corporate milestones and trending moments
- 3+ years experience managing social media channels and working on creative and innovative social media campaigns
- Ability to utilize major social media publishing platforms; Sprout Social preferred
- Technical knowledge of all social media platforms (Meta – FB/Insta, X, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok)
- Industry awareness of social media platforms, both in the platforms we use, as well as those that are up and coming
- Exposure or involvement in paid social media
- Community management
- Experience in social media management in software development industry